Tippi Hedren Suit - Outer Jacket Complete! Butterick 2178

I finished the outer jacket today and here it is:


The pockets are going to be a lot shallower than depicted in the photo because I haven't hemmed the jacket yet (the hem is a deep 1 3/4 inches).  To make the pockets, I started by looking at the front jacket pattern piece which shows the placement of the pocket flaps:


I measured, and the distances between the two dots above was 5 inches, so I added a half inch for two quarter inch seam allowances.  I then measured to the bottom edge of the pattern piece and that was 5 3/8 inches.  Then I added another two inches because I wanted a fold-over so that the lining of the pocket wouldn't show from the top of the pocket.  So my "pattern piece" for the pocket was 5 1/2 inches by 7 3/8 inches.  I didn't worry about being exact, since I could just trim the bottom of the pocket to be even with the bottom of the jacket.

I cut two pieces from the wool and two pieces from some silk scraps from some silk my in-laws brought me from Singapore.  I sewed them together at the top using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Then I stitched them together at the sides, right sides together, with the wool folded about an 1 1/4 inch down.  Then I turned the pockets right side out.  Here is a photo of the back/inside of the pockets:


And here's a close up of the front pocket before it was sewn on:

To attach the pocket, I used the placement dots on the pattern piece to orient me where I wanted the pockets.  I ended up putting them a half inch closer to the front and a half inch higher than the original pocket flap marks.

Then there was nothing left to do but topstitch down the side of each pocket.  I sweated this step though, because topstitching is forever.  (Not really, but it feels like it!)  I've been using the dark pine green thread I used on my Gertie coat for this project, but I felt that it was too dark for this heathered green wool.  I ended up using dark grey thread instead, which I believe blended better with the wool.

Also, I didn't topstitch the pockets all the way to the bottom edge of the jacket because I don't want the pocket edge to interfere with my hemming. So I left the bottom inch unstitched so I can trim the pockets before I hem.  The bottom of the pockets will be covered by the lining.

Of course, as I type, I realize that I should have pressed the wool/silk top seam towards the silk instead of towards the wool; it would lay flatter.  Thus, I'm not completely happy with the pockets, but I'm not certain I'm so unhappy that I would re-do them.  I'll ruminate on it for awhile.

Today I also made a pattern piece for the cuffs, and created a pattern piece for the jacket front lining.  Still don't know if it will work, but I'll make it work.  I laid out all the still uncut pattern pieces, along with the dress pattern pieces just to make sure I'll have enough fabric.  I'll have enough with about 1/4 yard to spare!
Share This

Contact Us

So you think we’re the right folks for the job? Please get in touch with us, we promise we won't bite!



Distributed By Blogger Themes | Designed By Seo Blogger Templates